Proposal:Use Geonotices on larger wikipedias to promote local language pedias
The status of this proposal is:
Request for Discussion / Sign-Ups
Every proposal should be tied to one of the strategic priorities below.
Edit this page to help identify the priorities related to this proposal!
- Achieve continued growth in readership
- Focus on quality content
- Increase Participation
- Stabilize and improve the infrastructure
- Encourage Innovation
When someone in the Punjab edits the English pedia or someone in Senegal edits the French pedia put a notice on their screen in the language of that area saying "would you like to also add this in Punjabi/Wolof etc".
Use geonotices based on geo location of IP to request editors to thank them for their work and ask if they would also like to add that in the local language.
Promote local language wikis
- Need to get the right language or languages.
- Don't do it too often
- Have an explanation available to address people's privacy concerns - i.e. as you are editing from a computer in Wales we wondered if you might want to also add this info to the cymru wikipedia.
Nominal IT cost
- See also Meta:DialectWiki. The project will be collecting data mapping geo locations to local languages.
- Proposal:Geonotice improvements
Do you have a thought about this proposal? A suggestion? Discuss this proposal by going to Proposal talk:Use Geonotices on larger wikipedias to promote local language pedias.
Want to work on this proposal?
- .. Sign your name here!