What makes Wikimedia different from Hudong & Baidu Baike
Hi, Tangos. I think our objective is to targeted mass Internet audience in China. But that dose not means we should face trade-off on qualities. The long term value of Wikipedia is its free knowledge.
- Many social news on their home page to attract not-well-educated users.
- Move content by easy copy-paste.
"We know the market better" this statement is a deny for the intelligence of Chinese people.
I mean we should not follow their strategy which is totally wrong in long term, but take some positive actions for their competitions:
- Increase offline activities of the community
- Seek proper partners in China
- Enhance the coverage of content by some systematic way
- Adding geographic entries in China, this is very useful for mass users.
- Adding contemporary people entries in China
No, no, I don't mean that we need to sacrifice our quality and compromise our principle in order to attract more readers. But we need to fully understand the competitive landscape and acknowledge the strength of our competitors, and learn from them and to find our what factors we can leverage to increase our user bases.
ps. I totally agree with your last three action plans.