Interview Guide Template and Sample Questions
My name is [Sender name], and I am currently engaged on a Task Force for the Wikimedia Foundation in their strategic planning process. Wikimedia is currently gearing up for a year-long strategy and business planning process, which will be open and collaborative. As part of this process, we are looking to gather insights from people from multiple perspectives on Wikimedia’s potential path forward.
We thought you might be a great resource to speak to regarding XXX (e.g. use of information sources in developing countries, specific languages, article quality, expansion of Wikimedia content beyond enclycopedic reference, health and well-being of the Community, technology)
Before we begin, do you have any questions of us?
- Could you tell us a bit about yourself and your role at [organization]?
- Do you currently use Wikipedia or any of its sister projects? Why or why not?
Perspective on Wikimedia and information usage
- What is your perception of where people turn when they have a basic information need? (e.g., history of a country)
- Where do you refer people to when they have a basic information need? (e.g., Internet, print encyclopedia, etc.)
- How often do people with whom you are familiar turn to Wikipedia as a resource for information?
- What kind of things do you find people looking for on Wikipedia?
- Why do people choose Wikipedia vs. other resources?
- Are there any ways in which Wikipedia could make your role as a [role] easier?
- What do you think would make people use Wikipedia more frequently?
- What have you found regarding the reliability of information on Wikipedia? (e.g., accuracy, depth of information, breadth)
- What have you found regarding the perceived “trustworthiness” of information on Wikipedia?
- What have you found regarding the “contentiousness” of information on Wikipedia?
- What have you found regarding differences in content/quality by language Wikipedia?
- Do you have any thoughts on increasing the quality (however defined) of information on Wikipedia?
Expansion of Content
Participation and Wikimedia Community
- What have you found regarding drivers of participation? (e.g., editing, reverting, etc.)
- What have you found regarding the use of talk pages? (e.g., relative to editing patterns, etc.)
- What have you found regarding differences in participation by language Wikipedia?
- Do you have any thoughts on the plateauing/dropping that we’re seeing in number of active contributors?
- Do you have any thoughts on increasing participation on Wikipedia?
- What effect would increased participation have on Wikipedia?
- What have you found regarding participation on other social networking or mass collaboration sites?
Organizational, Financial and Technological Infrastructures
- What are your thoughts on the opportunities and threats facing Wikipedia generally?
- What do you think Wikipedia’s unique role in the field is?
- Any other thoughts on the future of Wikipedia that might be helpful for us to hear?
We would love to continue to engage with you as the process moves forward. You can find our emerging fact base at strategy.wikipedia.org, and we would love for you to add your insights. May we contact you in the future if other questions/thoughts come up regarding public outreach and participation?