Proposal:A MediaWiki Parser in C
The status of this proposal is:
Request for Discussion / Sign-Ups
Every proposal should be tied to one of the strategic priorities below.
Edit this page to help identify the priorities related to this proposal!
- Achieve continued growth in readership
- Focus on quality content
- Increase Participation
- Stabilize and improve the infrastructure
- Encourage Innovation
A MediaWiki Parser in C
The mission of WMF is to spread the free knowledge; in order to increase the potential usage of data from Wikipedia, it is fundamentally to write a separate and portable parser for wiki-text.
It should be official and standardized.
A standard, portable parser will enable lots of applications of Wikipedia data. The potential usage of the parser might be:
- To replace the original MediaWiki PHP parser with faster performance and smaller memory usage
- Various note-taking tools which can render wiki-text directly and exchange wiki-text from desktop to Wikimedia servers via API.(See Proposal:Wikimedia editor)
- Store and show Wikipedia data in a USB disk.
- Enable convertion between formats: Not only wikitext to HTML, but also PDF generating, LaTex generating...
- Offline Wikipedia
Two approaches are there to implement the parser:
- A brand new parser in C
- Compile the PHP parser into C
- The complexity of wiki-text syntax
- Syntax-extending mechanism to meet various requirements
- Proposal:Offline Wikipedia
- Proposal:Wikimedia editor
- MediaWiki Markup Spec (draft)
- mw:Alternative parsers
Do you have a thought about this proposal? A suggestion? Discuss this proposal by going to Proposal talk:A MediaWiki Parser in C.
How about using LIME instead?
Want to work on this proposal?
- Vibhijain 10:24, 6 May 2011 (UTC)
- .. Sign your name here!