Proposal:A Wikipedia of "Locked" Featured Articles
Wikipedia is too low-quality. Many articles are written everyday, and the number of low-quality articles and stubs is getting out of hand. It is too easy for a high-quality article to become a low-quality one. We need to have a more high-quality Wikipedia in order to become a better reference source.
An idea I had one day and have thought about for some time is that once a Wikipedia article reaches Featured Article status, it would be put into a kind of "lock." Editing of this high-quality page would only be possible with the consent of several editors and/or an administrator.
I have heard several users on Wikipedia mention a "Future Pristine Wikipedia/Wiktionary" If this ideal is to be achieved, then a reliable way must be found to keep high-quality articles as flawless as they are supposed to be. This is a lofty and noble goal. Wikipedia is my primary reference source and I hate it when people ridicule it for being susceptible to vandalism, and thus incredibly unreliable. I can find no other way to take a step towards this goal. Shouldn't every Wikipedia user have this in mind? Isn't a reliable and flawless Wikipedia what we are trying to work towards?
- How strong will this "lock" be?
- How many users will it take to edit a "locked article"?
- Should the consent of an adminastrator be required to edit a "locked article"?
- Will this lock be strengthened in the case of new users?
- Will the "lock" be applied to all articles of Featured Article status?
- Should a less powerful lock be applied to lower quality articles (e.g. Good Articles)?
- Is this practical?
- Would it be too hard to edit?
- Will this decrease Wikipedia's popularity because of lack of freedom?
- How do we prevent locked articles getting out of date, since they won't benefit from the random edits that improve other articles?
- Fancy programming
- Decreased popularity?
This is just an idea that I came up with. I don't believe it has been placed anywhere else.
Do you have a thought about this proposal? A suggestion? Discuss this proposal by going to Proposal talk:A Wikipedia of "Locked" Featured Articles.
Want to work on this proposal?
- .. Sign your name here!