Proposal:Change upload form
MediaWiki's upload form needs to change. YouTube, Facebook and other websites provide better functional and useful upload forms.
Currently people can upload files without requiring a license and license information. Sometimes people do not understand copyright and licensing. This proposal suggests ways to address both issues.
Changes to the upload form should include:
- Adding an author(s) field.
- Adding a copyright date field.
- Adding a source field.
- Reject uploads that don't have these fields filled out.
- Reject uploads with invalid dates and dates that are in the future.
- Reject uploads with "no license" selected when this upload would create a new File: page.
- Treat author(s), copyright date and source as meta data that can be searched.
- Maintain automatic categories of files by author(s), date, source and uploader.
Help frustrated users upload files with less hassle later. Also less maintenance work for wiki administrators.
- Will changing the upload form result in less or more hassle?
- Are there better ways to ensure files use acceptable licensed that are less of a hassle for uploaders?
- Are there better ways to educate people about copyright and licensing?
- Time for developers to implement the changes.
- Time for users who have to relearn the system.
- Time for document maintainers who will have to learn the new system and document the changes.
Want to work on this proposal?
- .. Sign your name here!