The status of this proposal is:
Request for Discussion / Sign-Ups
Every proposal should be tied to one of the strategic priorities below.
Edit this page to help identify the priorities related to this proposal!
- Achieve continued growth in readership
- Focus on quality content
- Increase Participation
- Stabilize and improve the infrastructure
- Encourage Innovation
The key concepts are the concepts at the root of the ontology. They are a lot of methods to create this basic hierarchy : linguistic, scientific, cognitive, pragmatic,...
The Wiktionary need linguistic key concepts like WordNet, Wikipedia need more domain oriented key concepts like Cyc, some cognitive and few pragmatic ones. This knowledge variations indicate a requirement on the mediawiki system : offering the possibility of the creation of key concepts hierarchy.
Presently, this key concepts hierarchy exists in all Wiki systems. For example, in Wikimedia you have :
- General reference
- Culture and the arts
- Geography and places
- Health and fitness
- History and events
- Mathematics and logic
- Natural and physical sciences
- People and self
- Philosophy and thinking
- Religion and belief systems
- Society and social sciences
- Technology and applied sciences
But is not possible to associate automatically the appurtenance of a concept (an article) in a category with the appropriate knowledge template. A knowledge template can be simply a form with predetermined fields, for example, for People and self/Biography you have at minimum :
- born_on : date
- die_on : date
- born_at : place
- die_at : place
This kind of structured meta-data support validation constraints and integrity rules like:
- born_on < die_on
- exists born_at in Geography_and_places
This example is inspired by frames ontology editors like Promété and project a possible use of semantic forms of the semantic media wiki.
The rigidity problem
Key Concepts needs do be stable because a lot of computer programs use this rigidity as logical basis ; how this requirement can be compatible with the wiki philosophy ?
Key concepts in WordNet
An entity that has physical existence.
- thing (a separate and self-contained entity)
- object, physical object (a tangible and visible entity; an entity that can cast a shadow) "it was full of rackets, balls and other objects"
- causal agent, cause, causal agency (any entity that produces an effect or is responsible for events or results)
- matter (that which has mass and occupies space) "physicists study both the nature of matter and the forces which govern it"
- process, physical process (a sustained phenomenon or one marked by gradual changes through a series of states) "events now in process"; "the process of calcification begins later for boys than for girls"
- substance (material of a particular kind or constitution) "the immune response recognizes invading substances"
Abstraction, abstract entity
A general concept formed by extracting common features from specific examples.
- psychological feature (a feature of the mental life of a living organism)
- attribute (an abstraction belonging to or characteristic of an entity)
- group, grouping (any number of entities (members) considered as a unit)
- relation (an abstraction belonging to or characteristic of two entities or parts together)
- communication (something that is communicated by or to or between people or groups)
- measure, quantity, amount (how much there is or how many there are of something that you can quantify)
- otherworld (an abstract spiritual world beyond earthly reality)
- set ((mathematics) an abstract collection of numbers or symbols) "the set of prime numbers is infinite"
Want to work on this proposal?
- .. Sign your name here!