Proposal:Tip Jar for Editors
The status of this proposal is:
Request for Discussion / Sign-Ups
Every proposal should be tied to one of the strategic priorities below.
Edit this page to help identify the priorities related to this proposal!
- Achieve continued growth in readership
- Focus on quality content
- Increase Participation
- Stabilize and improve the infrastructure
- Encourage Innovation
If not English, in what language is this proposal submitted?:
Enable users to tip editors.
The Foundation sets up a micropayment system that allows users to make small payments to editors (a wiki tip-jar). The system would aggregate tips made from different users and make a payment to editors once every few months, or once a certain threshold of money is reached. Most editors would most likely only receive a few dollars and would probably gift their tips back to the foundation to keep the project running.
Users wanting to tip editors would pay a lump sum of say $100 into a tipping account from which they could allocate payments of a few dollars to different editors.
- Reward good editors.
- Allow anonymous donations.
- Help generate cash flow around the Foundation.
- Opportunities for the Foundation to identify and request donations from users with money in their tipping account.
- Possibly after a certain time any money left "untipped" could be automatically passed over to the foundation.
- Might it lead to some sort of corruption? (i.e: companies or individuals paying editors to add or remove information)
- How much money would actually find it's way back to the Foundation?
- Would it change the motivation and focus of editors? Might certain topics get more attention than others if corporate tips started to become significant?
- Would this system somehow infringe international banking regulations?
- Setting up the technology for a micropayment system
- legal advice
- Proposal:Charge for extra Userspace: also suggests a micropayment system
Do you have a thought about this proposal? A suggestion? Discuss this proposal by going to Proposal talk:Tip Jar for Editors.
Want to work on this proposal?
- .. Sign your name here!