Proposal talk:Core wikipedias
Just my view, regarding templates, infoboxs, tables etc.. which ever language, there are users with few skills which others take for granted...
- crtl c, ctrl v: where my best friends till I found the actual help pages.
- video: 3 - 4 min step by step for monkey see, monkey doo
- w'IKEA: a,b,c, step by step images.
I for one still find understanding instructiions for things like uniwiki frustrating and frequently give up. I'm dead keen to have a ready template for beginners that simply input information - fill in the boxes.
Maybe this is not exactly what you had in mind. But aiming at simplicity, plain English would be a great start. Take it from me, a certain level of ability is a problem - unless you only want readers as opposed to contributors.
Another point - when I tried to make a recomendation in a discussion page, I found it full of templates and no discussion. Wandering around a wiki to find the best group to suggest something simple was hard work, and I sti do not know if it went into an abyss of some kind Dinosaurs (documentary) and WWD- The Spectacular) Hope the free $0.00 is of some use -- Piandao:en 19:41, 23 September 2009 (UTC)
Is m:Manual for small and new Wikipedias what you're looking for? What does it mean that ru.wikipedia should be a "core wikipedia"? that ru.wikipedians should go and teach users on other projects? I can't understand how can this function. --Nemo 21:04, 24 September 2009 (UTC)
- No, the manual it not what I´m looking for. English is a world language, but in parts of the world there are languages like russian, mandarin, hindi, etc that fulfill the same task. That means, if there are editors in those wikipedias who know as much as the editors in en:WP about Wikimedia editors who don´t speak english, but russian, mandarin, hindi as a second language could ask them. For example the german wikipedia has WikiProjects that helps and answers questions concerning templates, improving pictures, review of articles and portals, copyrights, etc. Well, there wouldn´t be someone from the be:WP asking de:WP or en:WP, but they would look into ru:WP.
- I don´t know if the foundation or meta could spread the knowledge to our 300 Wikimedia-projects. But it´s possible to transfer it to three core wikipedias. For example, the page "Manual for small and new Wikipedias" is written in english and there are no translations available. It wouldn´t be possible to tanslate that page into 300 languages, but into three languages. --Goldzahn 23:56, 24 September 2009 (UTC)
- By the way, are there some help pages (e.g. on meta) which should be translated into the language of a new Wikipedia? Because the editors who will start a wikipedia will leave and than new editors will not know how to use wikipedia, if they don´t speak a second language. --Goldzahn 00:59, 25 September 2009 (UTC)