Barriers to growth
Information on barriers to growth was taken from interviews with the Wikimedia advisory Board. It would be great to have people who are editors of Sub-Saharan African language wikipedias add their thoughts as to the barriers to growth. Sarah476 22:35, 23 September 2009 (UTC)
- Prestige of former colonial and/or official languages. Illiteracy in vernaculars. 18.104.22.168 01:01, 24 September 2009 (UTC)
- "Lack of Wikipedia tools to facilitate editing in African languages and a lack of editors who have the technical skills to address problems and fix bugs" is a fact. When i arrived on wo.wp, there were almost no categorization, no template, no infobox, no page like village pump, etc. I'm not a wolof speaker, but i could solve all these problems by working in tandem with a native wolof speaker. Guérin Nicolas (messages) 20:52, 30 September 2009 (UTC)
- Very widespread perception that western "culture" consists mainly of men lying with other men, and women lying with other women, and that wikipedia is simply another blatant tool designed to preach these neo-colonialist ideas, and attack, destroy or replace the cultures and beliefs of Africans with propaganda written in their own languages.
The graph labeled, "A few Sub-Saharan African language Wikipedias have shown steady growth," seems to be incorrect. User talk:Eekim
- Good spot, do you prefer the Afrikaans and Yoruba one I've just reinstated? WereSpielChequers 07:42, 17 October 2009 (UTC)
- edited the title to increase claritySarah476 21:06, 19 October 2009 (UTC)