Why I am retired? Here is an example.
Problem Physics is an important article in a bad state. to improve it, one needs
- knowledge: I have it.
- wiki-skill: Others have it.
So neither me, nor the others can improve it. because I can make wiki-mistakes, and the others can make knowledge-mistakes.
Solution? No solution. Here is a list of what I have tried out.
- About four years ago, I became a member of with Wikipedia.
- I eventually found the tutorial and learned the basics.
- I needed knowledge to edit, so I started to study. I studied about 300 books and wrote some amazing books.
- I wanted to write for Wikipedia too. I still want to. but whenever I editted, I was reverted for this and that reason
- Then I was asked to read this and that FAQs, laws, policies, guides, help pages, ...
- Surprisingly, I was so eager that I actually tried to read it all. I thought it's no more difficult than 300 books.
- It was. I thought I would go straight and edit, then correct my mistakes. but everyone was much more tolerant about knowledge mistakes than wiki mistakes.
- I tried to make some friends. but I was hardly successful to avoid making enemies.
- I tried sister projects. It was the same. even commons were no place for my art.
- I tried to discuss this problem and give proposals for it in the strategy wiki. I even talked to some important people in the foundation. but it didn't help
- I tried to solve it right here: not to fear, go straight, solve every problem. correct every mistake I make. but for the first time I realized it's costly. I realized that I was spending a surplus of money doing all this. my friends got good marks, found a job, married, started their stocks accounts, ... I was studying more than all of them. but I didn't even get a good grade in the classroom.
"Wikipedia articles are edited collaboratively; you shouldn't think of it as a process you have to or should complete all on your own."
- Wikipedia is like a company that asks all the workers, lawyers, engineers, tradesmen, stockholders, and managers, to "collaborate" in marketing, designing, production and cleaning, regardless of their field of ability. a real "collaborative" company is where an engineer is only required to design, a worker is only required to produce, and a lawyer is only required to remove legal barriers.
- In Wikipedia the tools that a specialist needs to do his job are not specified to him.
I must be expected to write a whole Physics book to prove my knowledge. I must be bombarded with criticism about physics. I must be expected to provide knowledge and reliable source for Physics. I must be expected to review and rate physics articles, and give scientific solutions. but I'm not being expected what I can. I'm being expected what I can't. like learning all these policies and rules.
Final word I love reading Wikipedia, more than editing it. Especially if the rules are more important than the article quality. but if there is something I can do with my knowledge, let me know.
Strategic analysis 2011
Newbies are editing longer pages in their first 10 edits than they used to. The plot above shows that the average length of pages edited by a newbie in their first 10 edits has quadrupled since 2003. Newbies are also getting reverted more in recent years than they used to be. The regression confirms that these two effects appear to be independent (ie. newbies were reverted for editing long pages when Wikipedia was young and newbies are more likely to be reverted for editing short pages now than before).
Strategic analyses 2010
- Wikimedia market analysis