Proposal:Librsvg development funding
The library librsvg is part of the GNOME project, but not actively maintained. It's sole purpose at the GNOME Desktop is to render SVG-icons. Rendering text is not a main goal for the project, therefore text rendering is not fully implemented.
I therefore propose to pay a developer to improve text-rendering in librsvg.
Rendering text is required for educational and encyclopedic scheme graphics. Also many chemical formulas suffer from the problem. A workaround (convert the text to path) is not newbie friendly, requires more disk space and makes it harder to translate the SVG files into other languages.
- How much does it cost?
- Who will do the job?
- Post the job interally or hire externals?
- Maybe use http://www.cofundos.org/ or http://micropledge.com/
- Announce at http://live.gnome.org/Bounties and/or GNOME mailing-list.
Hello, I support the proposal. Until all bugs are fixed however, I propose to work around this by using a different SVG renderer on Commons, maybe only for those problematic SVGs? Maybe let the uploader decide which engine? One that would work and is OSS: inkview as part of the inkscape package. --220.127.116.11 16:47, 12 March 2012 (UTC)
Bug 403274 – text in thumbnail too large.FIXED
- Bug 167708 – text on textPath is not rendered at the right place (lands somewhere outside of bounding box).
- Bug 574544 – Text coming out wrong size when SVG scaled to funny resolution.
- Bug 337979 – text size not rendered correctly.
- Bug 460904 – doesn't support text flows.
Bug 612951 - SVG not rendered if header contains width or height in percentageFIXED. Bug 581494 – rsvg-convert / rsvg can't render a non sized svg graphicsFIXED.
- Bug 525023 – Text rendered at the wrong position
- Bug 8566 – Thumbnail rendering of SVGs broken
- Bug 5792 – The mother of all librsvg bugs
- Proposal:Inline SVG preference
- Proposal:Track bugs in other projects impeding our progress
- Brion Vibber, SVG in Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons, SVG Open, October 4, 2009, Mountain View, CA.
Do you have a thought about this proposal? A suggestion? Discuss this proposal by going to Proposal Talk:Librsvg development funding.