Proposal:Wikipedia as a UNESCO intangible cultural heritage of humanity/en
Wikipedia as an Intangible Heritage of Humanity.
The breaking project is the Wikipedia encyclopedia, but this classification should be consequently extended to all other Wikimedia projects.
Wikipedia is the world-largest community-driven user-generated repository.
UNESCO defines oral and intangible heritage as “the totality of tradition-based creations of a cultural community express by a group or individuals and recognized as reflecting the expectations of a community in so far as they reflect its cultural and social identity.”
Wikipedia is "naturally" becoming part of the cultural heritage of the world. We may accelerate this process.
The key questions to ask are: "What is achieved when Wikipedia is recognised as part our intagible cultural heritage" and " Why does Wikipedia deserve this".
When we want to be recognised as part of the cultural heritage of the world, the significance of the Bengali Wikipedia is high as it is the biggest resource in Bengali on the Internet, this is probably true for other languages as well. Commons is highly relevant to us but when you compare it to Flickr, the argument would easily be to recognise Flickr of Youtube in this way in stead.
When we ask what it is that we can achieve, it is very much recognition for the importance of our projects and use it to engage people to actively support our projects by contributing to them.
- Wikipedia for World Heritage! from Wikimedia Deutcshland] (petiton started after this proposal)
- Unesco Intangible Cultural Heritage home
- Forms for nominations for the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity: ICH-02 and ICH-07 (revised 19 june 2009)
- See en:Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity
- There is also a project to promote the free software as an intangible world cultural heritage, see http://fsfe.org/projects/mankind/
Want to work on this proposal?
- .. Sign your name here!