Targeting cellphones for WP 1.0
Given the penetration of cellphones in the developing world, the Offline Talkforce considers the cellphone platform to be a priority. It was agreed that whatever format the WP 1.0 release is in, it should be convertible to an HTML dump.
There is already a supplier for wikipedia on cellphones - http://www.wikipock.com/ . The Wikipock collection is 7 GB, which includes all the English WP, as well as ES and PT But no pictures or infoboxes.
- storage capacity
- Modern phones in 2009 have micro-SD slots - that (to date) have capacities up to 32 Gig
- We are targeting phones in 2011 or so
- The phone itself has more limited storage - sizes of 16Meg to 64Meg would be useful to target
- Content might be selective - full articles, lede only, pictures or not, references or not
- A reader
- cellphones built-in browser
Third world preloading of cellphones
- Create an application suitable for mobile phones that can hold a large amount of articles
- Compile a list of important an well written material for each country/region/language
- Convince mobile phone developers to depending on which country/region/language it distributes its phone to, to preload these phones with a localized version of the application with the material from the corresponding list.
Use of online mobile access
- Possible to be a telcom service?