Goal and function of this page
This page is a space to collect and analyse Key Questions on 'meta'-issues - issues not about the particular projects and communities themselves, but instead on the structural under-pinnings that the Foundation, Chapters, and other organisations can provide: finance, hosting, servers, events, and indeed whether and how there should be such organisations.
Reflection on this site and process
- Key questions suffer from founder effect and systemic bias
- The key questions being used to guide many parts of the process seem to stem from one or two initial discussions, don't cover the entire spectrum of important issues facing us or defined by the mission, and conceal some of our current weaknesses (by focusing primarily, in research and language, on what we are doing or attempting now, and not those parts of the mission which have not yet been addressed).
- Active rethinking of basic assumptions, key questions, terminology and the like is important, especially at the start of this sort of process -- else we run the risk of falling into groupthink and turning away from new opportunities. 184.108.40.206
- Many proposals have nothing to do with strategy in terms of the "Wikimedia movement" - they are simple run-of-the-mill proposals that should be placed on a village pump or mailing list or bugzilla. This process needs to have some way of weeding these out and sending them back to a more appropriate venue. This wiki is for large-scale strategies to enhance reach, participation and quality and the cruft will make this initiative ineffective. Mike.lifeguard | @meta 18:57, 9 September 2009 (UTC)
- Mike, one of the goals of this process is that people will feel empowered to fix those things that they can, or re-route them appropriately. As with most other functions, we rely on the strength of the volunteer base to do that work; if things are resolved, I think they can be appropriately marked as such. Placing them here in no way inhibits one from acting on it. -- Philippe 20:05, 9 September 2009 (UTC)
Data and analysis
Discussion regarding this data and analysis can be found on the talk pages of each of the subpages below.
It's a bit hard to get data on meta-discussions, but the growth of the MetaWiki itself, and of proposals submitted here -- and the diffusion of email traffic across the many lists as they grow and morph, would be quite useful to see. (mailing list traffic in particular is fascinating.) 220.127.116.11
At this point in the process, we've collected questions and proposals: now it's time to discuss them and to see how they tie to a greater vision. Below are a few links that might be of interest.
Questions that need answers is a great place to start the discussion.
» Where should Wikimedia go? | Call for proposals
» What are the task forces? | How to participate
» What can I do to help on the wiki?